Click on the image to go full screen.
Panel explaining the history of the spring.
1849:
Augustin
Joseph,
known
as
Auguste
Voirin,
born
in
Dolaincourt
in
1822,
qualified
expert
marshal
(=
empirical
veterinarian)
has
the
water
of
the
basins
of
the
Pré
de
la
Sarmerie,
owned
by
Élophe
Millot
of
Neufchâteau,
analyzed.
This
water
turns
out
to
be
very
rich
in
sodium
sulphide
(0.057
to
0.063
g/l,
depending
on
the
analysis).
1851: Doctor J. Haxo, permanent secretary of the Emulation Society, mentions the discovery of the spring in his work "Coup d'œil sur les eaux minières des Vosges" (A look at the mineral waters of the Vosges).
1852:
Chief
mining
engineer
Daniel
de
Billy
publishes
his
"Note
sur
une
source
d’eau
sulfureuse"
(Note
on
a
source
of
sulphurous
water),
in
which
he
explains
the
origin
of
the
spring:
a
geological
accident.
A
double
fault
line,
which
caused
a
collapse
of
the
geological
layers,
is
very
close
to
the
point
of
emergence
of
the
spring.
1869: The definitive capture is carried out by Êlophe Millot, a year before his death. The mason is Jules Durand de Dolaincourt.
1874:
François
Millot,
son
of
Êlophe
Millot,
files
an
official
request
to
exploit
the
spring.
March
5,
1875:
Ministerial
decree
authorizing
the
exploitation
of
the
Sarmerie
spring.
1878: Notice on the natural mineral water of Dolaincourt by Doctor Pierre Bertin, son-in-law of Êlophe Millot.
1881: The widow of Êlophe Millot has this pavilion built which served as a refreshment bar and bottling plant.
1900: Creation of the "Comité des Promenades de Dolaincourt" by Charles Didot. The Châtenois station becomes the Châtenois-Dolaincourt station. Sunday July 8, 1900: big party at the Dolaincourt spring.
June 1940: German troops occupy the pavilion which is ransacked.